Japanese Food | Sakae Sushi – New Menu

It has been quite sometime since my last visit to Sakae Sushi. Hmm… I think almost half a yr already.

Just a while after we are seated, I found that Sakae Sushi had changed to a new set of menu. *paiseh*. I think that they must have changed to this menu for quite sometime since I found some torn pieces in the menu.
We’ve ordered Hana Maki, Chuka Hotate, Kakiage (Vegetable Tempura), Fried Tofu, Kizami Unagi and Soft Shell Crab Temaki.
Hana Maki is sushi wrap with raw salmon and topped with mayonise. Taste good.
Chuka Hotate; my favourite. A must order everytime I visit Sakae Sushi. It’s the marinated frills of scallop. Taste slightly sweet ad spicy.
Kakiage – Vegetable tempura; consist of carrots, onions, capsiums and brinjal. It’s only cost RM 1.90 and serve good as snack.
Next round is Fried Tofu, Kizami Unagi and Soft Shell Crab Temaki.
The Fried Tofu is also a must order. The tofu is topped with some sweet sauce (kinda like the one served with unagi) and the texture is very soft. Price only RM 1.90, very worth.
Kizami Unagi – something new for me. I’ve just discovered this in the new menu. The topping is chopped unagi which taste slightly sweet. I like his new dish!

The above dish ar, I also dunno what’s the name. But I’ve asked the waitress. According to her it’s some Japanese bean. But it taste terrible – the bean taste like it’ve turned sour and it’s sticky. The stickiness is shown in second picture. This sushi make my friend wanna vomit. I only eat one bean, but also can’t stand the taste.

The last dish is Salmon Kamaage. The salmon is fried then served. The meat is soft and the skin is slightly crunchy. Very aromatic. A picture is more than 10,000 of words. My chopstick is faster than my camera. *paiseh* Hehehe.

Overall, a very satisfying dinner. Somemore this dinner is for my friend farewell. She resigned from the company where both of us used to work in. After I changed job, we haven’t meet until that day. So, we hv lots of things to chat on.

All The Best in your new job, YH!

1. Penang Tua Pui says:

Sakae is one of the great place to have Jap food in fast food mode besides Sushi King.

My favourite way is to have the sushi deliver right on your front from the chef and put it in the mouth straight away. Yum Yum… fresh and yummy. Order what ever sushi u like and they make it instantly.

I like sushi bar style.

Hi, I am Huat Koay

2. Allie says:

Huat Koay, Thanks for visiting my blog. :-)

Yeah! agree with you! Sushi deliver fresh from chef and put in mouth straigh away! Yummy!!!

3. New Kid on the Blog says:

Sakae is better than Sushi King, in fact, more variety. GOod choice!!

4. Allie says:

New Kid on the Blog,

Yeah! Gimme 5! I also feel that Sakae is better!

Thx for visiting!

5. CK Lam says:

Didn’t know that Sakae has a new set of menu. Went to the place a few weeks back but there was a long queue… instead we ended up in Sushi King lor.

6. YH says:

hey, now only i realized that you put my name on your blog, just like “put me on the table”. Now ppl who knows you will also get to know me already. I became famous overnight :-p

Anyway, thanks for the dinner. Really enjoy walk walk and talking with you. Keep in touch.

7. Allie says:

Haha. Not put you on the table la, friend.

Just that, it’s a memorable night with you, so hv to put your name there. Somemore it’s your big day ma. hehe

8. Mark says:

Sakae rocks!

Having sushi cravings again…OMG =P

Nice blog btw =)

markthepooh.blogspot.com

9. Chan says:

I had a very unpleasant experience today at the Sakae Sushi in Gurney Plaza, Penang.
    Date 23rd April 2009
    Time: 1:30pm – 2:00pm
    Location: Gurney Plaza, Penang, Malaysia

I decided to have lunch at Sakae restaurant because the shop front looks very modern and the menu is very well designed as well as offering a lot of choice and variety. I was seated at the restaurant at 1:30pm and left at 2:00pm. My order was Hamachi sushi, Unagi rice and tea set (promotional item) and a salmon sushi plus a hot tea once I sat down.

The salmon sushi came first and it was a good start. Then came the second item, it was the hamachi sushi, my favourite. However, the hamachi looked pretty bad, it didnt look a tad bit fresh at all. The colour has gone greyish and it smelt!!! I promptly returned it but was given a rather nasty look by one of the black suited waiters. Then 10 mins later, my unagi rice and tea set came. The unagi and rice was COLD. Worse of all, the tea tasted SALTY!! At first I thought this is some kind of speciality tea. Then I compared with the tea bag I had earlier on, it was the same!!! So I knew right away that my tea has undergone some sort of “modification”. A prank should I say. It was totally and utterly a very unprofessional act by the staff and I promptly pointed it out to the manager on duty. I paid the bill and left the restaurant immediately. Worried if there will be another prank thrown at me.

Absolutely an unacceptable service and act from a restaurant in Penang. I hope this will draw their attention to the issue. Regret to send this feedback here. I just hope that it will not happen to any of my friends or families and public in Penang.
    A feedback has also been sent to the Management.

Chan,
    What a bad experience you’ve encountered. I’ve never dine at Sakae Sushi in Gurney. I always have mine at Queensbay Mall and the service is pretty good.
    The tea tasted salty??? It shouldn’t be! They shouldn’t use not fresh ingredients to serve their customer. This is totally unacceptable! It’s good that you’ve feedback to the management. Hope they’ll do some improvement, else they’ll be losing their customer.

???,
    You can go to Ryoma at Tanjung Tokong area. The interior design is beautiful, but sorry that I do not have any review here. Besides that, Kirishima at Cititel Hotel do serve great Jap food too :)
    Hope you and your customer will like it :)