Fried Lok Lok @ Gurney Drive | Penang Hawker Food

Gurney Drive is one of the landmark for Penang Tourism. I remember during my visits to Penang when I was small (I am not Penang Lang), my uncle will brought us eat at Gurney Drive. We enjoy so much as we saw so many types of food for us to choose from.

Now I’m working in Penang, I like to eat at Gurney drive still. But I only eat from a few specific stalls. The stall that I like is Fried Lok Lok.

You can choose your favourite ingredients and the stall owner will deep fried it on the spot for you.

Gurney Drive Fried Lok Lok Stall I chose some seafood tofu, fish ball, meat ball, taiwan sausages and squids. The squids taste good as the batter used to fried the squid is fragrant with some pepper taste.

Fried Lok Lok 1 Here are some shots of what is available for you to choose.

Fried Lok Lok 2 The sauce to dip your fried items in. There are satay sauce and normal chili sauce.

Chili SauceNormally I’d have a bowl of laksa to go with my fried items. But on my visit that day, I spotted this char koay teow (ckt) stall. It’s written The Cantonment Road Famous ckt and it attracted me. Cantonment Road Famous Char Koay Teow StallThe ckt taste good with the wok hei fragrant and it’s not too oily. I noticed that you can order the special ckt which cost RM 9. I guess the special one is the one with added big prawns. But my favourite ckt would still be Ah Leng ckt which mantis prawns will be added for a special plate of ckt.

Cantonment Road Famous Char Koay Teow 1

Cantonment Road Famous Char Koay Teow 2 My bf ordered wan tan mee. It taste normal, but the dark soy sauce is slightly too much to my liking.

Gurney Drive Wan Tan Mee 1And not forgetting rojak as our dessert. We bought it from stall #77. I found that the rojak has too little grounded peanuts. I like mine with lots of grounded peanuts to goes with the shrimp paste. Taste wise, ok.
Gurney Drive Rojak
The drink (leng chi kang) tasted too bland.
leng chi kang

Map for those who are not familiar:

View here for larger map

1. Selba says:

The fried Lok Lok reminds me to Old Chang Kee, but this one got more varieties…

The rojak is totally different than the ones in Indonesia :D

2. Lisa says:

wah very sinful dishes

3. Duckie says:

wow fried lok lok looks good!!! i am so going there now!!!

HAHA … as if anyone needs a map to THE Gurney Drive. :)

the fried loklok was the only thing that’s attractive though.
    esp the fried chicken skin.

I miss the rojak and FKT at Gurney Drive hawkers…but hate the jam during holiday season haha!

I go Gurney mainly for their Fruits Rojak and Muar Chee .. hehehe … sweet tooth problem …. as you can see at my earlier post for Gurney Drive

7. CRIZ LAI says:

Well, this stall had expanded quite well over the years. I still remember that they had barely a few choices when the whole food area wasn’t renovated yet. Now… gosh.. can I have more please? :P

8. Food Paradise says:

When we drop by gurney drive, most of time we will order some of the deep fried lok lok too. lol

9. Penang Tionghua says:

If you like Penang Hawker Food, try the Cecil Street Hawker Centre. It operates from 7am till 7pm.

Traditional Lok lok (not fried) is also excellent at Supertanker.

I do not fancy the Gurney Drive Hawker Centre except it is the only contribution of former CEO KTK.

I still yearned for the old hawker lines-up at the Gurney waterfront promenade which were chased to the present hawker centre during his reign.

Tourism has lost alot from this natural old touch.

10. gill gill says:

looks tempting :) We barely go for gurney drive hawker unless we have to entertain the out station and overseas friends and family members.

For a tourism area sells at RM9 CKT per plate?! It is truly over price for locals.

Don’t know why, I just can take a little of deep fried lok lok only, cuz my tummy will easily full with this stuff. So, I would rather go for normal boiled lok lok instead of this.

12. Allie says:

Selba,
    Thanks for visiting! I would like to try out Indonesia rojak when I visit there!

Lisa,
    Truly agree with you, very sinful.. but taste good.

13. Allie says:

Duckie,
    Did you try the fried lok lok?

J2Kfm,
    I tried the fried chicken skin before, but don’t think I like it. :-p

14. Allie says:

SimpleGirl,
    It’s always jam at that area… wonder why?

email2me,
    I like their muar chee too.

15. Allie says:

Criz,
    Now there are so many types of food to choose from…

Food Paradise,
    yea. Gimme 5!

16. Penang Tua Pui says:

hmm… I had shot about this too.. u are fast….

btw… i like most of the shot.. nicely done.. loving.