Tsuruya @ I Avenue | Penang Restaurant

I always pass by this restaurant and whenever I do, the devil and angel side of me will appear and argue whether should I dine in there. My devil side will say, ‘go in… go in… jap food waiting for you…yum yum..’ & my angel side will protect my wallet , ‘Don’t ever go in, it’s going to be very damaging judging by the outlook of the restaurant’.

Finally one day, my devil side won and without realizing I’m already sitting on the tatami.

Tsuruya Restaurant We ordered one Seafood Bento Set to share among us as normally bento set is huge. The bento set come with a bowl of salad, chawanmushi (steam egg) and fruits.

The unagi tasted good but it’d be better if there are a little more sauce. The portion of the unagi is quite big too.

Seafood Bento

I just love this dish which come together in the bento set. It’s stir fried scramble egg with vegetables. It’s very tasty with a hint of spiciness. It’s kinda like the egg which served in the first dish of a Chinese Wedding Dinner. The one that stir fried with some shark fins. But this one tasted more fragrant.

Stir Fried Scramble Eggg

The seafood was stir fried with garlic sauce. There are some salmon, prawns and squids. The seafood are fresh.

Stir Fried Seafood

The egg was steam to perfection, it’s so soft and smooth.

Steam Egg

Spider Roll – It’s very tasty with a generous amount of soft shell crab wrapped with Japanese rice, seaweed and lettuce. The soft shell crab is quite crispy but not oily. I am a fan of soft shell crab. :)

Spider Roll 1

Spider Roll 2

Salmon Roll Maki – There are some green pepper and spring onions wrapped inside the rice. The sushi is topped with fried shredded shallots. I just can’t stand the taste of the green pepper, sprion onions and shallots. Therefore, this sushi don’t taste good to me.

But, my bf just like it. The salmon is fresh.

Salmon Roll Maki 1

Salmon Roll Maki 2

Yaki Tori which is grilled chicken. It tasted slightly sweet with tender meat. I guess the sweetness comes from the teriyaki sauce.

Yaki Tori

The environment is very cosy with some yellow lighting to light up the area. But the yellow lighting spoilt my photo shooting lol…

You can choose to be sitted in a ‘private room’ with tatami seating which are separated with some string-like curtain.

Tsuruya Restaurant Interior 1

Else you can opt for the normal dining table type of seating.

Tsuruya Restaurant Interior 2

The price is not that damaging after all. Phew…

This restaurant is located at I Avenue. Map for those who are not familiar:

View here for larger map

1. New Kid on the Blog says:

eh, nice pic leh…. you change your camera???

They are really generous in giving the soft shell crab huh?! And the salmon looks darn fresh…

3. vkeong says:

wah, you two can eat a lot :P the yellow cast can be removed using photoshop btw. try to shoot RAW :)

nothing beats an extravagant Japanese dinner.
    hurts the wallet, but soothes the soul. sigh …

i wish Ipoh has more Japanese restaurants lah …

5. Lingzie says:

this is one japanese restaurant i have yet to try. i love soft shell crab too! must find time to visit this place :)

6. Allie says:

NKOB,
    I changed to slr like 3 mths ago. :-)

SimpleGirl,
    Yea. The amount of soft shell crab is really generous.

7. Allie says:

Vkeong,
    shoot in RAW? But I know nothing about shooting in RAW. Maybe you can give me some tutorial? :)

J2Kfm,
    Come to PG or go KL makan Jap food la… Hehe..

8. worldwindows says:

Very appetizing. I prefer cooked stuff and will take smaller portions of sushi and sashimi. Bento set looks is great for me.

9. vkeong says:

I am not expert enough to give you any tutorials.. but you may refer this link to know more about RAW images: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAW_image_format

Basically if you shoot your photos in raw, white balancing wouldn’t be a problem. you can manage your photos’ color even if the lighting is red/blue/green, whatever :) I have just started shooting RAW and still experimenting with it

Happy reading

10. Jo says:

Just too bad this is not in KL otherwise I’ll be checking it out when I’m back home during CNY.

11. Joie de vivre says:

Beautiful pics! It looks like it was a great time.

12. jasmine says:

quite liked this place when i was in penang for a short stint. and yes, prices are quite affordable, huh?

13. Toffees says:

i agree tht price quite OK…the most I like bout this place is the Beef Teppan set….if anyone is working in the nearby FIZ factories…tey give 5% discount…not sure if this offer is still on

Allie,
    can you understand or not from the link that vkeong gave?

15. sc says:

luckily this meal didnt make a dent to your wallet eh? the spider roll looks delish

16. iQiQ says:

da ambient is nice and the food is good too.. fair price, i would say..

allie, you can go there more often, try other dishes.. ^.^

iQiQ,
    Agree with you, ambient is nice :)
    But go there more often, my wallet cannot tahan wo…

18. foodseeker says:

i had tried it @ pg times square.. food is ok, but the service is ma ma dei & is expensive, i rather go for sakae sushi… 3.5/10