Ah Leng Char Koay Teow (Re-visited) ; Penang Hawker Food

Ah Leng char koay teow (ckt) is another famous stall of ckt which is located opoosite Honolulu Cafe along Jalan Dato Keramat.

The big sized prawn and mantis prawn is the top selling point of this ckt.

Ah Leng<br /> Char Koay Teow Stall

As usual the stall owner is helped out by his lovely daugther.

Ah Leng<br /> Char Koay Teow Stall 2

We normally order a bowl of hokkien mee to ease our hungry stomach while waiting for our plate of ckt.

Hokkien Mee 1

The hokkien mee taste very normal. The soup base is taste average and the chili is not too spicy.

Hokkien Mee 2

I think we chose the wrong day to visit this stall as the number of people who were there for ckt were a lot more than usual. That was a weekend with long holiday. We observed that most of the customers were visitors.

End up we had waited for 45 mins for our ckt. That was the longest I’ve waited. Luckily we had the hokkien mee to ease our hunger.

When the ckt was served, to my disappointment there were only 2 big sized prawns. I used to have 3 big sized prawns during my few last visits there. Wondering why…

Ah Leng Char Koay Teow 1

Anyway the taste remain good. The prawns were big and succulent.

Ah Leng Char Koay Teow 2

My plate of ckt with mantis prawn instead of normal prawn. There were few big chunks of mantis prawns.

Ah Leng Char Koay Teow 3

It tasted good but slightly different from the normal ckt with prawn. The mantis prawn added another type of fragrant into the ckt.

Ah Leng Char Koay Teow 4 Business hour: 8.00 am – 2.00pm (Closed on Thursday)

You can order a normal type of ckt or a special one. The normal type (RM 4.50) is like the one we’ve ordered while the special (RM8.00) one would have big sized prawn together with mantis prawn. Additional 50 cent would be charged if you opt of duck egg instead.

It’s consider rather pricey for ckt, but considering the big sized prawn we have nothing to say.

Map for those who are not familiar

View here for larger map.

This will be on my hit list to be revisit when I am back to PG for CNY celebration. Miss it soooooooooooo much. No other place can replace Ah Leng’s CKT.

2. pigpigscorner says:

wow looks really yummy. I’ve never had CKT with mantis prawns, I’ve got to try this!

3. Duckie says:

looks good. must go try.

4. Allie says:

email2me,
    So you’ll be back to PG for CNY.. :)

pigpigscorner,
    Hope you’ll like it.

5. New Kid on the Blog says:

the last I went was 1 year ago. guess it’s time to re-visit again.

6. Food Paradise says:

I always want to visit but hard to get a car park. lol

7. vkeong says:

time for me to revisit as well this CNY. it’s been a year plus since I last eaten there.. hope the quality still remains :)

Not courageous to find out why only 2 prawns?! Scared get scolded?! :p

9. Steven Goh says:

ah leng char koay teow is one of the best char koay teow stall in Penang. I think his stall getting famous after the visit of Kennysia. Now he easily got 100 over cust per day.

10. [...] is always a food hunt day. Our food hunt continue after Ah Leng Char Koay Teow. This stall just located very near to the ckt stall. It’s located opposite the Esso petrol [...]

11. Linda says:

I went there with high expectation last year after reading some blogs about this ckt. Turns out, my mother couldn’t finished hers, my bro took too long to finish his plate. I personally think it’s just average. The arrogant lorong slamat aunty ckt tastes much better. Air itam corner coffeeshop ckt also not bad.

Linda,
    I am sorry that you and your family don’t really like this ckt. I’ll try out your recommendation soon. Thanks!

13. Vern says:

Great blog, Allie! you should try the ‘chiu chang ka’ char koay teow. it’s at lengkok burma, pulau tikus, open for lunch weekdays.

Vern,
    Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll try it out whenever I have a chance : )