Top Taste Hokkien Mee ; Penang Hawker Food

What a lazy Sunday morning… I woke up late again. Not able to go to the famous Perak Road or One Corner Cafe Hokkien Mee again. *geram*! Why all the famous hokkien mee finish so early one… can’t they make more to sell? :P  or… I actually should wake up earlier huh. :P

Since we are late, so no luck on the hokkien mee already. So we have to come out with another plan on what to have for our breakfast. My bf suggested the Fried Fish Fillet Bihun Soup at Macalister Road. I immediately agreed as I love the fish there. To our disappointment, we saw that the coffee shop is under renovation and the bihun soup stall was gone. :(

Later we found out that the bihun soup stall is going to stop operation for one month due to the renovation of the coffee shop.

After a moment of silent due to disappointment, suddenly I thought of this hokkien mee stall told by a friend of mine. It’s located just slightly opposite to the bihun stall. The Top Taste Hokkien Mee stall is located in Sin Kim San Coffee Shop.

You can never go to the wrong stall as the stall is decorated by a big prawn on top.

I am lucky lol as the hokkien mee was still available. The soup base was sweet and tasted so fragrant with mantis prawn. This bowl was with added mantis prawn. That’s a generous amount of mantis prawn huh.

This is a different version from the normal hokkien mee as this is flavoured with mantis prawn. If you are not a fan of mantis prawn, you can go to Presgrave Street at night for a bowl of normal hokkien mee. Tips for you: Go there when it’s later at night, then you’ll get to taste sweeter soup base.

My bf ordered char koay teow. As usual lor, without taugeh (bean sprout) one. To our disappointment the ckt was pretty tasteless. It’s lack of fragrant and spiciness. Somemore it’s very oily.

The pancake tasted normal to me. I feel that the raisin is not adequate. :P

Click here for map.

1. foodbin says:

the broth for Penang’s Hokkien mee is too sweet, the ckteow looks good

2. lingzie says:

my friend told me about this stall some time ago but i didnt go try…now that i see its served with mantis prawn…. must go liao!!!! :)

I see you love hokkien mee so much … for the past 1 week continuous 2 hokkien mee post …. lol ….

4. walio the prawn is huge, lets compare to the Kepong’s prawn!

Foodbin,
    You feel that the soup base is too sweet? The ckt doesn’t taste good. :P

Lingzie,
    You like mantis prawn?

email2me,
    Hehe… I started to like hokkien mee when I work in Penang. When I was at KL, I don’t like hokkien mee one :P

BBO,
    Kepong’s prawn very big one ar? hehe…

9. This stall’s hokkien mee is really one of the top. However, we have to be there very early else they will tell you it’s finished at 10:30am

10. What a coincidence, I went there few weeks ago too. This is one of the stall that we usually bring our guests for a bowl of hokkien mee. Providing they are the “mantis prawn” fans. lol

hi Allie! finally updated ur new URL in my blogroll.
    lazybum eh?

the pics look kinda skewed, or is it my eyes?

12. lk says:

Luv those mantis prawns! The taste of the soup base must be heaven. I am drooling now…..!

Steven,
    There’s a few more hokkien mee stall in my makan list, but I always can’t get to eat it due to I woke up late :P

Food Paradise,
    Normally your guest will like it?

J2Kfm,
    Hey! Thanks for the update wor!
    Hehe… let’s said the picture is artistic? Haha :P

lk,
    The soup base taste good. You try it before?

Have not been visiting this Hokkien Mee for a long time…looks like now is the time for revisits.

Ck,
    Yea! See if the quality is still being maintain. :P

19. these photos make me hungry now!!! :(

20. [...] layer of this pancake is fried until golden brown which enhance the fragrant. The one that I had at Sin Kim San coffee shop is not comparable to [...]

21. [...] where did she move to? None other than Sim Kim San Cafe along Macalister Road, once famous for Top Taste Hokkien Mee in the [...]