Koay Teow Teng & Wan Tan Mee @ Sri Nibong Cafe ; Penang Hawker Food

This is a common place for Bayan Lepas workers. Sri Nibong Cafe is a corner lot coffee shop which is located at Sri Nibong opposite Ayer Cafe. When I first started to work at Phase 1 FIZ, my colleagues introduced this place to me. They told me the instant cook koay teow teng and the wan tan mee here taste good. This coffee shop is always full of people especially during breakfast and lunch hour. The environment is pretty warm and heaty which is the one thing that I don’t like about this place.

Minced meat, fish ball, slices of fish cake and a runny egg are the ingredients used to cook the koay teow teng. I personally feel that the quality has deteriorated over the years I’ve patronized this stall. Sometimes the koay teow used are in small pieces instead of flat long strand. Basically we have to use spoon to scoop the koay teow. Nothing much to shout about the soup base. My favourite would still be the one at Seng Thor Coffee Shop which of the soup base is definitely worth mentioning.

The runny egg is the only thing I like in this bowl of koay teow teng. Sound so pathetic huh. Well, this is just my personal taste ya.

However, the wan tan mee is still maintaining the standard and the quality. The noodle is rather thin comparing to 24hours wan tan mee or the one at Chulia Street. It’s almost similar to the one at Eng Loh Coffee Shop. Noodle texture is rather chewy and without any lye taste, the way I like my noodle to be.

Taste wise, it’s fragrant and the dark sauces tasted just right.

Toasted Bread with luncheon meat and egg as filling – finger food which you can order if the koay teow teng and wan tan mee cannot fill up your stomach.

You can opt for sausage, ham, cheese or other ingredients per your liking for the filling. There’s a wide variety to choose from.

Sri Nibong Coffee Shop closed on Monday
The koay teow teng available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. While the wan tan mee and the toasted bread only available for breakfast and lunch hour.

Click here for map.

1. I love 1 Tonne mee.. but i recall from a friend of mine that Penang 1 tonne mee taste super different with the ones in KL. Hmm… wonder which is nicer.. lol

2. Tching says:

I’ve tried their toasted bread with egg and taiwan sausage. It’s delicious. Thumbs-up.

3. KY says:

the problem with penang wantan mee is usually the char siew. They’re always dyed red and well, the taste just isn’t as great as KL’s.

I’m from Penang btw. :)

4. Duckie says:

i love the koay teow!! i used to go there everyweekend when my friend stayed in mawar apartments .. behind this coffeeshop!!

surprisingly, the toasted bread with fillings appeal to me more. not the noodles though.

applefoodees,
    thanks for visiting! :) I personally feel that both KL and PG version of wan tan mee has its own specialty.

KY,
    I agree with you on that. :) PG wantan mee selling point is on the noodle and the gravy itself :)

550ml jar of faith,
    In fact I have the same thinking with you :)

9. Lots of people like this stall of KTT, however, I prefer the one in King Street. However, it doesn’t taste bad at all… if you’re suddenly craving for something like that… this isn’t any bad choice at all. :)

10. Selby says:

I would love to try the toasted bread, it really looks so yummy :)

11. Hong CN says:

I personally just feel that the KTT is too oily probably due to the minced meat. I prefer lean meat. Previously I did love this stall. Probably due to health conscious, I started to change my taste.

12. jencooks says:

Yes, give me that bun with luncheon meat that comes with porkie stick…very unusual unique but looks darn good to me.

The char siew looks good to me as I don’t like my charsiew reddish in colour….prefer those that are a bit burnt.

My ex-colleagues and I used to have the koay teow th’ng there. One of the uncle from the stall used to dip his thumb in the soup when he serves the food. Yukss…

15. This is one of the popular KTT in Sungai Nibong area. ^-^

16. [...] is merely bread with luncheon meat plus some sweet gravy which is different from the one I had at Sri Nibong Cafe. Both have their speciality [...]

ABC,
    OMG! That’s disgusting! But I never observed such thing before. Guess, lucky me huh :)

18. [...] to Thong Kee self made wan tan mee. The texture of the noodle is QQ and quite similar to the one at Sri Nibong Cafe,  but less dark soya sauce is [...]