Opera Oriental Cuisine (Valuable Set Lunch) | Penang Restaurant

I was looking for a restaurant which serves good set lunch with reasonable price and so coincidently Lingzie posted about Opera. It’s so alluring to see the pictures in her post and of course I got attracted. Without a second thought, I forwared her link to both of my friends whom we planned to hang out together on Saturday, girls day out! :D

Both of my friends responded very fast and said, ‘Ok, let’s go to Opera!’.

Opera is located just 2 shops away from Smoky Jack which do provide set lunch too. What a small world it is as I bumped into Lingzie when I lunch there :D

I like the ambience of the restaurant. We feel cosy and peaceful.

A statue holding a candle is placed on the table which I suppose it’ll be lit up by dinner time. Candle light dinner anyone?

The lunch business hour would be from 12pm – 3pm and only applicable for Monday to Saturday. Therefore, set lunch only available form Mon – Sat. As for Sunday, business will only starts at 6pm.

For the set lunch which cost RM18, it varies from Monday to Saturday. For each day, there will be 2 choices of main course available to be chosen from. Appetizer, drink and dessert are included in the set lunch.

As for Saturday set lunch menu, choices of main course are Asian Grilled Chicken served with oriental potatoes and Fish Fillet in mango chutney and hot bean sauce served with steam rice.

The appetizer was Vietnamese Summer Roll. Rice paper was used to wrap the lettuce, cucumber and carrot. The summer roll tasted pretty plain on its own, therefore a chili sauce blended with peanuts is served together with it. The summer roll is similar to the one I had at Ms. Saigon Vietnamese Cuisine, just that more types of summer rolls are available at Ms. Saigon.

I personally feel that the cucumber and carrot slices were too thick that it’s pretty hard to bite on it. Overall I feel that the summer roll was pretty dry, lack of water content from the vege used.

The ice lemon tea do worth mentioning! It’s thick not like those we normally get which is so diluted and too sweet. Thumbs up for it! It’s been ages since the last time I tasted a good cup of ice lemon tea.

Looking for accomodation for your holiday? Feel free to drop by Penang Hotels for a wide selection of places to stay with great discount!

Pages: 1 2

1. errmm…… so many blog about this place…. and seems like everyone going after the desserts. Guess….. i need to make a move now. ^-^

nice ambiance with nice food, i especially attracted by the chicken with spinach sauce

3. oh, you finally went there.
    I actually like the place and like the food there.
    Something different…

4. Duckie says:

food looks good. how’s the price?

5. Pureglutton says:

Sigh… so much good food in Penang!

Food Paradise,
    hehe.. why not if you like desserts.. :P

Duckie,
    It’s consider reasonable for me. RM 18 per set. :)

550ml jar of faith,
    Yeap. I was there on 23rd of May. Where were you sitting? Are you the one with a large crowds sitting at a long table near to the counter?

Is my stomach bigger than you? I had the exact same food as you did. I find the portion not big leh. :)

550ml jar of faith,
    At the right side? mmm… the one with large crowd that I saw was on the left side with my face facing the “Opera” sign.

Cariso,
    I guess it’s due to I had late breakfast that day :P

Value meal, why not?

13. lingzie says:

hi allie glad you liked the dessert as much as i did!

and i didnt see you also la 550ml jar of faith!! maybe we missed each other?? i was seated right in the front!
    but i do remember that the place was pretty packed that day. :)

14. wow … your shots made the food look soooo much more tempting than they really are.

i’ll keep this in mind, as the place looks good, and the food’s special.

15. sakaigirl says:

Love the pics u took! Really pro! I love to try the iced lemon tea^^

Lingzie,
    I simply lurve the dessert :D

Sakaigirl,
    Thanks ~ :D

Drooling Motormouth,
    Haha… a picture is better than a thousand words ya :P

19. wow! I can stop myself falling in love with The opera, I wonder If i can come with my opera costume on! :) just d’perfect!

20. I heard about this place many times from my friends but never tried before.

21. cariso, you stomach is smaller leh. I read 3 people with opera dee, I am now very tempting to go there.

22. wahhh..all tht foodies there on the same day but all didnt managed to talk to each otr?! aiyoo!
    Lingzie: u met 550ml during the Pg Potluck no?

Allie: sorry so late comment.. Yr site was not loading on my laptop. using my office’s now and it was ok. Must be my laptop??

Opera rocks! very interesting flavours..worthwhile to go, prob one of the few plaecs i will go cos when in Pg I hunt hawker food!

23. taufulou says:

didnt know got such a nice place to eat in pg~

24. Hong CN says:

One of my FB friend kept on promoting this, I will bring my wife and children to test out very soon. Looks very tempting to try out!

Hong,
    This set lunch is really good, my friend recommended Tues set lunch. She said it’s the best among the 6 days. :)

Ahnoo,

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    There’s a famous hawker food street (Gurney Drive) near to G hotel. I’ve a post regarding some hawker food at Gurney Drive.
    If you like something fusion and western, there’s a new restaurant and bar further away. I’ll post a review regarding it soon. You may check it out later. :)
    Hope you will find this info useful.