Ko Fu Loft Restaurant @ Gurney Plaza | Penang Restaurant

Sorry for not updating my blog for so long. I’ve been hibernating in blogging, not sure if I’ve lost the passion in blogging or I’m too tied up with some other things.

Anyway, my passion for good food and photography still remain :) . Does anyone realise that Food Loft in Gurney Plaza had closed down and a new restaurant Ko Fu Loft has taken over the vacant lot? Thanks to Criz, I got the opportunity to try out a wide variety of food from Ko Fu Loft.

There isn’t any big different in terms of the interior decoration comparing both Ko Fu Loft and Food Loft. The decoration that attracted me most is the “wall” where you can find the name of the restaurant. It is made up of a lots of small steamer baskets which are used to steam dim sum like har kau, siew mai, pau and etc.

Those small steamer baskets are arranged nicely to form a wall as the background of the restaurant’s name. A pretty creative idea for a dim sum based restaurant.

Har Kau (Fresh Prawn Dumpling) and Siew Mai (Pork Dumpling) are the king and queen of dim sum. It’s very rarely that we would leave any dim sum restaurant without ordering them.

Rm 5.50 for 4 pieces of har kau. Overall the filling is juicy and prawn used was medium in size. I”m not a big fan of har kau as I don’t fancy prawn. :p I’m gonna be the minority % of people who will leave any restaurant without ordering any har kau :P

Siew Mai (Pork Dumpling) - RM5.50 . It’s not common to find mushroom in siew mai which I’ve discovered the tastiness of it during my Hong Kong trip where my photography skill sucks then. I personally feel that Penang dim sum is not comparable to Hong Kong’s

Minced Squid with Crab Claw (RM 6.90) - Thick gravy accompanying the crab claw. I can’t feel any springy texture, the thing that I’ll always look for in this kind of dish.

Trying my very very best to capture the steam from this dish, but seems like my misson failed huh :(

Signature Steamed Custard Creamy Bun – RM 5.50. The creamy custard is oozing out from the pau when it’s still hot, I didn’t manage to capture a picture on that. The custard filling is overwhelmed with salty egg yolk flavour which also contribute to the coarse texture of the filling. This is just my personal opinion. My personal liking is smooth custard filling.

Pages: 1 2 3

1. jencooks says:

Try to imagine a dim sum dish in all the bamboo steamers ! unique decor; Like the pincer dim sum with the whitish meat, not what you get anywhere.

2. not much of good food here hor?

The picture of the Minced Squid with Crab Claw looks very good even without the steam.

Yes, agree with CK, I like that crab claw dim sum photo too!! Yeee……you couldn’t stand oiliness too one uh? :)

Food Loft didnt stand a chance eh? it wasnt there for very long though. good concept, but mediocre and over-priced food.

this one looks promising, but gotta promo more.

Your photos make me crave for dim sum so much, really.

7. Good review allie. Love the photos.

8. taufulou says:

wah lau…the food after looking at it, instant effect..Hiungry~

9. I hope you will not give up the passion of food blogging! ;) just love reading your food postings!

10. Tching says:

Comparing Penang dim sum to Hong Kong’s is just a way of Allie cracking a joke i supposed… Penang dim sum can’t even compete with Ipoh’s and KL’s!

11. buzzingbee says:

oh u didn’t try the wu kok?
    other than the dim sum, the other dishes are a little below par.

12. food-4tots says:

Wu kok is the best among all the items I had tasted. Not oily and tasty. I luv the shot for egg wrap.

13. [...] been quite sometime since my last post which is on Ko Fu Loft the new Chinese Restaurant in Gurney [...]