Song River | Penang Restaurant

Taro fish meat bihun. I am so attracted by it after I read a post in aftergiovanni. I always keep this in my mind that I MUST try this out. Finally, on one fine Sunday morning I tought of this fishmeat bihun. I can’t exactly remember the location of the place which serve the taro fish meat bihun, the only memory that I have is, it’s located somewhere near Song River or is it Song River?

I really can’t recall the exact location, so… what to do? We just can try our luck, and we picked Song River Restaurant which is located along Gurney Drive.

My bf recommended the osyer noodle and fried egg with bitter gourd. But I insisted to have fish meat bihun, so we ask the waitress whether they serve such dish. Yes, they do have but no taro fish meat bihun … means we stepped into the wrong place!

The oyster noodle was served in a claypot with a generous amount of osyter displyed on top.

It tasted like hokkien char to me. I like the noodle being cooked, not soggy.

And the much awaited fish head bihun arrived in a claypot too. The soup base tasted quite sourly.

I am not impressed by the noodle. I guess it’s because I already have a high expectation before I step into this place.

The fried egg with bitter gourd is something special. What’s so special about it? The egg is just half-cooked. It suited my tastebud so well as I love half-cooked egg.

What we normally get is fried dry version which is similar to the fried egg with onion.

The dish is soaked in a pool of soy sauce which tasted slighlty sweet. A good dish to go with white rice.

The bitter gourd is a bit raw where you can feel the crunchiness of the vege. I like my bitter gourd to be cooked till soft.

It’s something new to have as breakfast rather than the usual, hokkien mee, curry mee or char koay teow.

Click here for map.

1. Leng says:

I’m so gonna go try the fried egg with bitter gourd!

Looks absolutely deliscious and am a fan of half cooked egg as well… dribbling already~

Song River is famous for their clear soup Johor style bak kut teh, prawn roll (heh Cho), thick bee hoon cook with fish fillet in clear soup, stir fried dry hor fun with fish fillet.

I was a regular here last time and all were their signatures. The above that you had I never tried before. Will write about them soon since I have plenty of time now.

its indeed a diff type of bitter gourd with egg.
    was expecting more of an omelette version.

4. Ohh..u did not hv the lor bak and ROTI BABI???

Leng,
    Hope you’ll like the fried egg with bitter gourd and thanks for visiting! :D

6. hmm…. I try the bah kut teh and the fish head bee hoon. ^-^ But have not try the bitter gourd. Should try that next time. ^-^

email2me,
    thanks a lot for your recommendation! I’m sure gonna try out all that :D

J2Kfm,
    that’s why I said it’s special *wink*

550ml jar of faith,
    Stupid me that I missed out the ‘Public Cafe’. But now I’ve carved the cafe name in my memory d :D , definitely will go there!

thenomadGourmand,
    The lor bak and roti babi there nice? OMG… i’ve missed that out too. Thanks for the info! Will go back for it :D

11. duckie says:

i like the oyster noodle but this place is sometimes rather slow, especially when it is packed.

the oyster noodle looks yummy….i wish i could check this out….

13. the fried egg with bitter gourd look unique. I haven’t tasted bitter gourd fried in semi-dried style. I think will go there and have a try

The 2 dishes recommended by your bf look yummy, especially the oyster noodles.

15. buzzingbee says:

this version of fried egg with bitter gourd is something new to me!!

I used to order their white bak kut teh one!

17. food-4tots says:

I luv hokkien char too. The oyster noodle looks very inviting to me! ;)

18. christina says:

it really look nice, i hope i have the chance to try it.