Koay Teow Teng @ Evergreen Cafe ; Penang Hawker Food

Suprise to see a ‘yau char kwai’ picture after you read the title of my post? Well… I was shocked too when I was served with a bowl of yau char kwai when I ordered koay teow teng (ktt). The yau char kwai serves the same purpose as in bah kut teh.

We stumbled across this cafe during one of our food hunting trip and those stacks of ‘chinese rooster bowl‘ attracted me into the cafe.

Koay teow teng with pieces of chicken meat, duck meat, some fish balls and meat balls. When we ordered, we mentioned to omit out the innards.

The soup base is packed with pork taste comparing to Jalan Samak ktt which the soup base has more chicken flavour. The yau char kwai dipped into the soup is something new to me, it’s somehow an acquired taste. I still prefer yau char kawi to be dipped into bah kut teh soup.

This is how a normal bowl of koay teow teng would look like with the innards included. There are so much ingredients available, looks so yummy to me although I don’t fancy innards.

I ordered bee tai bak soup without any garlic oil and spring onions added which make it looks like it’s suitable for a sick person. :P

There are some pork slices and chicken slices. The soup base is rather salty compare to the koay teow teng soup base.

The Evergreen Cafe is located directly opposite this Hutton Lane Car Park building.

Evergreen Cafe. Business hour: 7am – 1.30 pm.

Click here for map.

1. NKOTB says:

Penang got such places ah?? I didn’t know also… taking yau char koay dip into KTT’s soup. :)

really special, taking yau char koay with KTT, normally is yau char koay with Bak Kut Teh…..

Seen this place before but did not try it….interesting to have it with the crullers.

Wah you are really KTT queen! Salute and bow bow …..

5. duckie says:

i love this place … but got problem crossing the road if i happened to park opposite!!!

NKOTB,
    Maybe you can try it out and share your opinion with us? Btw, how’s your experience with your new camera?

email2me,
    LOL. KTT good ma, ‘cheng cheng tei’ :P

8. I been there once. But back then I don;t have yau char kuoh leh. ^-^

Cheng cheng tei kaki, give me five! :) But i dun think I will like to dip the yau char kwai into my bowl of cheng cheng tei KTT loh! :)

10. I think I have been to this place before, but why they did not give me yau char kwai? Or this is something new that they just added?

11. I never realise Penang got serve KTT with yao zha guai. Btw, it is an interesting post. Way to go KTT queen.

Cariso,
    5! I also don’t like to dip the yau char kwai into my bowl of cheng cheng tei kkt :P

Food Paradise & My Taste Heaven,
    We were curious looking at the yau char kwai displayed at a ktt stall. So we asked the owner what’s it for and she served us with that too :P

Steven,
    Haha… KTT queen. What a name! I prefer dessert queen. LOL :D
    There’s one more post of ktt coming up :P

15. Tching says:

Been to this place before but did not try it. I doubt whether the yau char guai goes well with the “cheng tong”.

Tching,
    That’s why I mentioned dipping the yau char kwai into the cheng tong is a very acquire taste :P