Cambodia (Siem Reap Trip) – Day 1

I was back from a trip to Siem Reap 2 weeks ago. It was a good experiece to be able to see the ancient temples of Angkor and also the lifestyle of the people of Siem Reap.

We managed to grab some cheap air ticket from Air Asia to Siem Reap, but departure was from KL. We are lucky as we are able to grab some zero fare ticket to KL too which just cost us RM 60/pax for a 2-way trip. As for the 2-way ticket from KL – Siem Reap, it cost us RM 277 / pax.

Since we have a few hours transit at LCCT, we’ve booked Tune Hotel which is located just a few minutes away from LCCT. Since we booked the hotel during a promo period, it just cost us RM 14.00. The room is really small, just less than 1 feet distance away from the queen size bed which is located at the center of the room. But it’s a pretty good place to sleep for a few hours waiting for our flight tomorrow morning at 7am.

There’s a free bus shuttle from LCCT to Tune Hotel or you can opt for a van shuttle which cost RM 1 / pax.

The flight to Siem Reap take around 2 hours.

We rented a hostel near Old Market Area named I Lodge. USD 13 / night consider acceptable to us. There are a few types of rooms available. A standard room with a queen size bed or a room with 3 single beds. Both rooms are attached to a bathroom with water heater and are air-conditoned.

We arrived Siem Reap at 8am on 29/07/09. It took around 30 mins to reach our hostel from Siem Reap International Airport. The hostel guy picked us up with the hotel van.

The room is pretty spacious.

After we settled down at our hostel, we headed to hunt for our lunch. Our tour guide brought us to a nearby restaurant; LYLY Restaurant. The price for the food is pretty standard which is USD 2.00 for a plate of rice or a bowl of noodle.

Lok Lak Beef Rice – a local famous dish. It’s actually stir fried beef served with fried rice. My bf like the beef, but I find it a bit too raw and tad bland. The fried rice was pretty fragrant. I really like the texture of the rice in Cambodia, it has a smooth and slightly chewy texture which is pretty similar to glutinous rice texture.

Chicken rice which was pretty similar to the one we get here in Malaysia. But the chicken meat texture was quite dry and there’s no soup being served.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

1. taufulou says:

wahh!~
    interesting trip…faster post more la~

2. buzzingbee says:

wow very nice pics! I’ve never been to Siam Reap before. The lake really looks more like sea!!
    My grandma still have that grinding stone…but left abandoned already!

3. David says:

Wonderful! Lovely pics too Allie. Why blur out the peeps?

Anyway, for lok lak, you should try the ones run by the locals, meaning those small stalls where only locals go, thats where I ate my lok lak. It was so different compared to the tourist restaurant or hotel style :)

Regards,
    David
    Malaysia Asia

4. william woon says:

hi, is it a typo or? “We arrived Siem Reap at 8am on 29/08/09″ August 29??

5. william woon says:

amok.. :> nice! i spent my 2007 new year eve in siem reap for 1 week.. :)

taufulou,
    I’m working on the Day 2 post, but too much pictures to be filtered :P

Bee,
    You can actually plan a trip to Siem Reap, it’s worth seeing especially the village and the lifestyle of the people. The temples definitely worth visiting too!

David,
    Cannot reveal Allie’s face ma :P
    I did tried the local lok lak the other days which tasted much better :)

William,
    It’s definitely a typo error which should be 29/07/09. Thanks for correcting :)

10. we missed the board trip the last visit but we had fun, did you visit the temple at the centre of the town?

Hey, I saw a lady lying like a mermaid there on the bed? :) Can’t wait for the upcoming episodes, pls post faster !

12. NKOTB says:

interesting trip, and beautiful sunset photo… can’t wait for the next one. :)

BBO,
    I sure did visited the temple. I like Angkor Wat most :)

Cariso,
    Where’s the mermaid that you saw? :P
    I’m working hard on the Day 2 post, be patient ya.

one of my targetted destination.
    but the photos of the villages look so depressive.
    very poor sanitation, and QOL.

keeping my fingers crossed now, for your Angkor Wat’s post.

16. Very nice pictures…. it tells everything. I’d been there few years back and I enjoy the food and sightseeing but not the thick red dust.

17. Chin says:

Have been a few years since I was in Cambodia. Looks like the tourist infrastructure has improved looking at the quality of the quality and pricing. The Tune Hotel looks quite good for transit.

pic #5 lah!!! :p

19. Was wondering if Tune hotel is located near LCCT, luckily it is!
    Thanks for the info Allie.

20. [...] Cambodia (Siem Reap Trip) – Day 1 [...]