Food in Xi Men Ding, Taiwan

This Chinese New Year is like any other CNY. I went back to my hometown, reunion with hometown friends and family. Everything is joy for the one whole week at hometown except for the very limited internet connection. Been missing all the blogs updates. :(

My only option to online is by using Digi gprs signal. There’s no broadband signal. Imagine the speed of the connection… It’s just 113 kbps! Oh god!

Let’s start a New Year post with something good! Upon arriving at Taipei we were greeted by cool breeze as it’s winter and it was getting dark although it’s around 5pm. We were already starving after check in to Dandy Hotel.

Since Xi Men Ding is just 10 mins away from our hotel, we decided to go to Xi Men Ding to explore the food!

Upon arriving, my aunt is so excited to see white¬†bitter gourd juice which tasted bitter with a hint of honey taste. Very good for cooling body heat but I don’t like it as I don’t fancy bitter food. ¬†:P

Ah Zhong Mian Xian (Ah Zhong Mee Suah) – one of the very famous food among Taiwan local people and tourist. I never expect to eat the mee suah in this way. Everyone is just standing in front of the shop eating their bowl of mee suah. There are so many people patronizing this shop.

Ah Zhong Mian Xian was founded since 1975 which is 35 years ago. The mee suah is pre-cooked in a big pot where the worker just scoop into a bowl and it’s ready to serve.

My bowl of mee suah with some pig intestine served together.

The seasoning (garlic oil, vinegar and chili oil) is placed in a nearby small counter where everyone help themselves with it. You can add the seasoning base on your liking.

Beware of the chili oil, just a small amount is enough to bring the spiciness.

Ah Zhong Mian Xian taste very different from our Shilin Oyster Mee Suah. Firstly there’s no oyster in Ah Zhong Mian Xian. Secondly the mian xian tasted very fragrant, I guess thanks to the pig’s intestine.

Refer to below picture for Ah Zhong Mian Xian business hour and price.

Pages: 1 2

1. vcery very nice ler, I just adore those mee suah
    .-= Big Boys Oven´s last blog ..Oddbjorn Lona & Li Ling Wedding Reception =-.

Allie Reply:

BBO,
    I still miss Taiwan food till now.. :(

2. NKOTB says:

wait a minute… you’re from Taiwan??? did I read correctly ah??
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..CY Choy Road Hokkien Mee ??????? =-.

Allie Reply:

NKOTB,
    No, I’m not from Taiwan. Just went there travel last year.

Eh? I thought you’re from Selangor? Or this is the previous trip to Taiwan?
    Worth to give the mee suah a try!
    .-= Little Inbox´s last blog ..Kowloon Hainan Chicken Rice @ Yummy Cottage =-.

Allie Reply:

Little Inbox,
    Yes, This is my previous Taiwan trip. The mee suah is definitely worth a try! :)

4. wendy says:

Oyster Mee Suah or Da Chang Mee Suah are my favorite Taiwanese food when I traveled to Taiwan everytime. But I never had Ah Zhong mee suah because my friend always brought me to some place else which they said it is better than Ah Zhong. I got to know Ah Zhong opened a branch in Los Angeless too. So, on my last trip back to Penang, we drove from Phoenix to LA (about 7 hours drive) to try it out, then catch the flight back to Penang. Umm…., I think Ah Zhong is not the best one, but I feel “gam uan” (satisfied)liao because I have been long craving for mee suah!!! hahahaa…Typical “tham Ciak” attitude.
    .-= wendy´s last blog ..Kopi "O" and me =-.

Allie Reply:

Wendy,
    I agree with you that local Taiwan people do not encourage us to eat Ah Zhong. I tried another mee suah but I feel that both has their own specialty and good taste :)

5. wahh the mee suah looks so good! Will be going to Taipei in April, can’t wait!
    .-= pigpigscorner´s last blog ..Mother’s Day, Already?! =-.

Allie Reply:

pigpigscorner,
    Wish you an enjoyable trip to Taipei! Eat more! :D

6. Food-4Tots says:

I have the same frustration like you during CNY – very limited internet connection. Just wonder how the honey bitter gourd taste like as I luv bitter gourd.
    .-= Food-4Tots´s last blog ..Banana muffins =-.

Allie Reply:

Food-4Tots,
    Nowadays seems like it’s hard to live without internet huh :)
    Btw, the white bitter gourd juice, they add some honey into it. That’s why it taste honey. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Steven Goh says:

Ya… nice Mian Xian. I love the noodle there. Infact, I went back the second time and it is still the best :)
    .-= Steven Goh´s last blog ..Ho Town, Kulim @ Delicious Chai Kuih In Town =-.

I dislike the pig intestine of ah zhong , coz kar beh tui one. :(
    .-= cariso´s last blog ..Demax Restaurant (Food Review) =-.

9. Ninja Turtle says:

kar beh tui then just tun whole piece will do.. :-)

10. I never been to Taipei, but serious? Shilin mee suah is not like the ones in Taiwan?
    Aiyo..wht it is that most food outlets like to market their prodcuts as a country’s staple food yet, not authentic. Kinda felt cheated..

ps: I love sweet potato balls! ;)