Food in Xi Men Ding, Taiwan

Exploring Xi Men Ding Night Market, we stumbled across one kind of food which became my cousin brother favorite food. It’s call ‘Xian Sui Ji‘ (Salted Water Chicken). This is consider one of the common food for Taiwan people.

You got to pick your favorite vegetable to be mixed and served with the chicken.

The chicken is served as cold chicken with salty and a heavy taste of pepper.

The chicken is cut into pieces and mix with the vegetables you’ve chosen earlier. I personally feel that the chicken and the vegetable is tad salty and too pepper-ish taste. I am not sure why my cousin brother like this so much. :P

Di Gua Qiu‘ (Sweet potato balls) – is my cousin sister’s favorite snack at Taiwan. It’s actually deep fried sweet potato balls.

It looks like fish ball from far. :)

Once you bite into these sweet potato balls, there’s just air inside. But then your mouth will be filled with the fragrant of sweet potato. It’s pretty addictive to munch on these sweet potato balls.

The Taiwan version that we had is slightly different from what we have in Malaysia. Malaysia version is the sweet potato ball is filled with sweet potato and flour fillings.

I had fun walking at Xi Men Ding Night Market. Apart from lots of street food, there are clothes, accessories and many other things to see and buy!

Pages: 1 2

1. vcery very nice ler, I just adore those mee suah
    .-= Big Boys Oven´s last blog ..Oddbjorn Lona & Li Ling Wedding Reception =-.

Allie Reply:

BBO,
    I still miss Taiwan food till now.. :(

2. NKOTB says:

wait a minute… you’re from Taiwan??? did I read correctly ah??
    .-= NKOTB´s last blog ..CY Choy Road Hokkien Mee ??????? =-.

Allie Reply:

NKOTB,
    No, I’m not from Taiwan. Just went there travel last year.

Eh? I thought you’re from Selangor? Or this is the previous trip to Taiwan?
    Worth to give the mee suah a try!
    .-= Little Inbox´s last blog ..Kowloon Hainan Chicken Rice @ Yummy Cottage =-.

Allie Reply:

Little Inbox,
    Yes, This is my previous Taiwan trip. The mee suah is definitely worth a try! :)

4. wendy says:

Oyster Mee Suah or Da Chang Mee Suah are my favorite Taiwanese food when I traveled to Taiwan everytime. But I never had Ah Zhong mee suah because my friend always brought me to some place else which they said it is better than Ah Zhong. I got to know Ah Zhong opened a branch in Los Angeless too. So, on my last trip back to Penang, we drove from Phoenix to LA (about 7 hours drive) to try it out, then catch the flight back to Penang. Umm…., I think Ah Zhong is not the best one, but I feel “gam uan” (satisfied)liao because I have been long craving for mee suah!!! hahahaa…Typical “tham Ciak” attitude.
    .-= wendy´s last blog ..Kopi "O" and me =-.

Allie Reply:

Wendy,
    I agree with you that local Taiwan people do not encourage us to eat Ah Zhong. I tried another mee suah but I feel that both has their own specialty and good taste :)

5. wahh the mee suah looks so good! Will be going to Taipei in April, can’t wait!
    .-= pigpigscorner´s last blog ..Mother’s Day, Already?! =-.

Allie Reply:

pigpigscorner,
    Wish you an enjoyable trip to Taipei! Eat more! :D

6. Food-4Tots says:

I have the same frustration like you during CNY – very limited internet connection. Just wonder how the honey bitter gourd taste like as I luv bitter gourd.
    .-= Food-4Tots´s last blog ..Banana muffins =-.

Allie Reply:

Food-4Tots,
    Nowadays seems like it’s hard to live without internet huh :)
    Btw, the white bitter gourd juice, they add some honey into it. That’s why it taste honey. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Steven Goh says:

Ya… nice Mian Xian. I love the noodle there. Infact, I went back the second time and it is still the best :)
    .-= Steven Goh´s last blog ..Ho Town, Kulim @ Delicious Chai Kuih In Town =-.

I dislike the pig intestine of ah zhong , coz kar beh tui one. :(
    .-= cariso´s last blog ..Demax Restaurant (Food Review) =-.

9. Ninja Turtle says:

kar beh tui then just tun whole piece will do.. :-)

10. I never been to Taipei, but serious? Shilin mee suah is not like the ones in Taiwan?
    Aiyo..wht it is that most food outlets like to market their prodcuts as a country’s staple food yet, not authentic. Kinda felt cheated..

ps: I love sweet potato balls! ;)